In a Galaxy Far Far Away
As someone who got into Star Wars later in life, many people recommended watching the originals first. Well, as the whole universe continues and NOT in chronological order, things can get confusing for a casual, new, or even experienced fan. While my co-host can keep track of the timeline no matter what he’s watching…me, not so much.
So below is my personal recommendation on how and what to watch, to get the most out of this ever growing universe. While things are primarily in chronological order, they’re not perfect. There is a lot of time overlaps. On that note… in the words of Palpatine, let’s, “DO IT!”
All Star Wars Shows & Movies are on Disney+
To help keep things in order, if you ever come across BBY or ABY, just know it’s the BC and AD of Star Wars. BBY is Before Battle of Yavin, and ABY is After Battle of Yavin. Battle of Yavin is the battle where the Death Star was destroyed in Episode 4: A New Hope. For example The Madalorian takes place 9 years after the Battle of Yavin, so 9 ABY.
If you’re watching on Disney plus, they have everything listed chronologically as well. Just scroll down in their Star Wars section. The only difference is they don’t mix in Season 7 of The Clone Wars chronologically.
- Episode 1: The Phantom Menace
- Episode 2: Attack of the Clones
- Clone Wars Animated Movie
- *Clone Wars the series and the movie are not in chronological order, however, I do not feel that impacts the story until Season 7. However if you want to go full chronological order check out this website!
- Clone Wars the series, Seasons 1-6
- Clone Wars Season 7, episodes 1-9
- Clone Wars Season 7, Episodes 10-12 and Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith. This may be annoying to go back and forth, but watching Episode 3 like this makes it so much better.
- Start Episode 3 and watch until 50:19.
- The Clone Wars, Episode 10.
- Episode 3- 50:20 to 1:25:14.
- The Clone Wars Episode 11.
- Episode 3- 1:25:15 to 2:08:56.
- The Clone Wars Episode 12 (If you want to break it up a bit more to torture yourself pause it at 19:10, finish Episode 3, and then come back and finish this episode).
- Finish Episode 3.
- Bad Batch
- Rebels (Seasons 1-4)
- Rogue One
- *If you have never done so before, I highly recommend watching Episode 4 immediately after finishing Rogue One, because it is just one scene in two movies.
- Episode 4: A New Hope
- Episode 5: The Empire Strikes Back
- Episode 6: Return of the Jedi
- The Mandalorian (Seasons 1 and 2)
- Boba Fett (Season 1)
- *Boba and The Mandalorian connect a lot, and with all the Boba flashbacks, it’s a bit difficult to properly put these in chronological order, so I suggest all of Mando, and then all of Boba.
- Episode 7: The Force Awakens
- Episode 8: The Last Jedi
- Episode 9: The Rise of Skywalker
The Star Wars Universe is HUGE!
The above list is not exhaustive. There are other animated shows (and more live action shows to come). However, this is the order that helped me follow along better, while also filling in some plots holes, and character developments, thereby causing me to fall in love with Star Wars.
There are also many Star Wars comic books you can grab as well that are considered canon and coincide with the TV shows and movies (that may need to be a future article). Until then, if you want some behind the scenes fun facts, and our comments/opinions, check out our podcast episodes that we are dropping all throughout May 2022. Just click one of the icons above, or search ‘Hops News’ wherever you listen to podcasts.
May the Force Be With You!